Tuesday, December 20, 2011

What is wrong with this motto?

My motto: I will quietly and modestly move in my sphere of life and influence without blemish fullfilling my duty as a man, a subject, a husband, and a father. I am pious without hypocrisy, benevolent without ostenation and I will aid my fellow man without self interest because my heart beats warm with friendship. I have a serene mind that is open for licensed pleasures and in vicissitudes I will not despair, nor in fortune be presumptious. I will be resolute in the hour of danger and free from superstition and infidelity. I will acknowledge the hand of God in nature and adore the higher destination of man. To me faith, hope , and charity are not just mere words without meaning, but a way of life. Property, nay even life is not to dear for the protection of innocence, virtue and the defence of truth; therfore I am a severe judge, but will be tolerant of the debilities of my neighbor and will endeavor to oppose errors without arrogance while promoting intelligence without impatience. I understand how to properly estimate and employ my means and will honor virtue even when it is in the most humble garment. I do not favor vice though it might be clad in purple and I will administer justice to merit whether it be in palaces or shacks. I without a courting applause am loved by all noble minded people and respected by my superiors while at the same time revered by my subordinates. I will never proclaim what I have done, can do, or will do; but where there is a need I will lay hold on it with dispionate courage, cirspect resolution, and indefatigable exertion with a rare and godly power of mind. I will cease only after I accomplish my work without pretension and I will then retire into the multitude knowing that I have done a good act not for myself, but for the cause of good. This is my motto and this is the personification of truth and brotherly love that I will pursue forever.

0 comments:

Post a Comment